Peling Gingsum; the Dances of Victory over Our Evil Self
As a young boy grew up in village in eastern Bhutan, I was inextricably linked to diverse culture exclusive to the village as well as otherTibetan-Bhutanese culture brought to the village. As far as I could remember, there were no modern entertainment amenities in my village. My village was also isolated one. Except to get salt for which villagers travelled to Indian border or a shop in a town once a year, my village which was three-day walk away from road point was self-sustaining. I first saw radio when I was around eight in the house of a neighbor who returned recently after contributing Zhabto Lemi at Punakha Dzong. He was given a radio (brand I don’t remember) which he spoilt in a week while showing off to other villagers. Only source of entertainment I remembered was local tsechu and annual household Lhasel. Local Tshechu were a great source of entertainment and time of get-together. Village elders would reverently sit in courtyard of temple and watched mask dances...
Comments
Post a Comment